Budding Potato Plant


The little buds of flowers have begun to appear on a couple of my potato plants which tells me that it won't be all that long until I'll get to harvest some spuds.  My goal for the potato plants is to harvest mature potatoes which means shortly after the flowers bloom the leaves of the plant will begin to yellow and whither at which point I am to cut watering completely for two weeks and then it should be ready to be dug out.

On my first attempt at growing potatoes I dug out the potato plant too soon, much too soon, and all I got was four little, tiny spuds, and when I say "little tiny" I mean truly "teeny tiny".  And this is how I learned the importance of allowing the potato plant to go its course for two weeks without watering, I found myself more and more impatient with the first potato plant- I would just look at those yellow dried up leaves and think 'those potatoes need to come out!' But I was wrong of course, so this time, I am determined to allow the plant to sit for 2 weeks once the leaves begin to yellow and whither.


No comments:

Post a Comment