DIY: String Trellis


I had this really great (though not that original) idea to staple up my own string trellis. It was so easy to do one can't call it a task even.  I simply took my spool of natural string and stapled it taut to the posts where I wanted my string trellis to be (the above picture is the end product).

After sitting dormant for about a month or so the string trellis is finally being used by a pair of growing cucumber plants, if you take a look at the picture below you can see the cucumber vines holding on tightly to the string to work their way up- it's very exciting and a tad bit cute I have to say.


For awhile I did think about replacing the string trellis as I found that the natural string I used was slightly sagging due to the exposure of wetness and sunshine, but now that I've seen that it really makes no difference when the cucumber begins to hold on and to climb... I am very pleased with it afterall, and cost me only $2.00 to make (for the spool of string).

I can't wait to see how beautiful the area will look with little cucumbers hanging from the trellis, I'm sure it'll give the backyard (which does need alot of work still) a charm that is lacking as well as yield more vegetables per square foot< since now I'm working vertically. A friend of mine who only has a small outdoor patio to work with (and when I say small, I mean small) setup a trellis with rope and grew a variety of pole beans which ended up being absolutely beautiful and of course was a great way to use the small space to grow.  Happy Days!


1 comment:

  1. sitting dormant for about a month or so the string trellis is finally being used by a pair of growing cucumber plants, if you take a look at the picture below you ... cucumbertrellis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete