The Figeater Beetle That Calls The Fig Tree Home


As of late my heart starts pounding when it comes time to pick figs off the fig tree, a large Figeater Beetle has been living in the fig tree and is quite the bully when it comes to me picking the fruit.  He often flies over my head faux-diving at me to scare me away - it works, I go running with arms flailing the wimp that I am towards insects and things. Apparently they make terrible pests in the garden eating through soft fruit like no other {so now I wonder no longer why many of my ripe figs are left hanging with only skin sagging and juicy insides all a missing}, what's worse is that all the half devoured fruit has attracted numerous amounts of flies to the fig tree. Suggestions say to kill them straight away no matter how pretty they are to look at, as for me, they may not look all that attractive they just look like big fat flying insects, but even so killing it is a hard thought.  What one must do?  Squash them under foot?  Ew, I shudder just thinking the crunch it would make.  So for now, I'm allowing it to stay in the fig tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment