Results: Watering my blueberry bush less when it was beginning to turn red

BEFORE

Almost a month ago I was concerned about my baby blueberry bush which was, I noticed< turning red in color.  After much research I found out that the red leaves were not normal for Summer although common for blueberry plants during Winter.  On a very helpful blueberry site, Backyard Berry Plants, the question was posed:

Q: Why are my blueberries leaves turning red?
A: They do this for different reasons.  They turn red in the fall of course (and orange/yellow), and that is expected.  It if is spring or summer and this is happening, your pH could be too high and /or they are not getting enough nitrogen.  I usually put a couple full shovels of peat moss around each plant in the spring, along with its annual spring fertilizer treatment, and I have never had this problem in my production bushes.  I am more likely to see it in potted nursery plants, as pH and nitrogen can rapidly change given increased watering (leaching nitrogen and raising pH) and temperatures (increased plant growth with not enough nitrogen).


After reading this interesting information and realizing this might very well be the case for me (I was watering my blueberry bush every other day if not everyday) I decided to water my blueberry plant less.... way less, let's say roughly twice a week.

Now, over three weeks later my blueberry plant is looking more green and less red!

AFTER


Read the previous post, Backyard Berry Plants, Specializing in Organically grown blueberry, blackberry, and red raspberry plants


3 comments:

  1. Greetings, I am enjoying your fantastic blog. If you love everything Sixties and Seventies, come visit the Submarine blog for a groovy time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my blueberry bush leaves are turning metallic reddish gold in colour, I was wondering if this is the same thing, and if so would ground lime stone work to lower the pH?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! It will bring it up! Add Aluminum Sulfate to bring PH down to a 4-5.5, also use pine needles and pine bark mulch to help keep soil acidic!

    ReplyDelete