A High Anxiety Experience, Planting In A Multi-Hole Pot


I bought a multi-hole planter some time ago and tried to plant strawberries in them- that didn't go to well, actually, it didn't go at all if you know what I mean.  So just recently I decided instead to plant herbage with a few small low-growing flowers here and there in the multi-hole planter, and although it looks great now I have to say it really wasn't the easiest to planter to deal with.

When I had decided to plant strawberries in them the first time I filled the planter with soil but found that the soil kept falling out of the holes as it kept mounding the higher I filled the planter.  When I was finally able to semi-compact the soil in the holes to keep them from falling out I planted seeds in each hole and around the top (none of them actually sprouted though).  The second obstacle at this point was watering, whenever I watered the soil again kept falling here and there.

After the unsuccessful planting of strawberry seeds in the multi-hole planter I decided to buy pre-grown oregano, lavender and small low-growing flowers to plant in it.  And while the beauty of this method is that you don't have to wait for your herbage and flowers to grow it was still a bit difficult to plant.  This time around I decided to fill the planter with soil as needed, meaning I filled it upto the bottom hole stuck the flowers in through the holes, filled the planter with soil to the next hole above and planted my oregano, then filled it again with more soil to the top of the planter to plant the lavender at top.  While this method of planting in the multi-hole planter was the simplest it was not without obstacles.  The oregano was quite hard to fit into the  hole and at some point even believed I was killing the plant while trying to plant it- I could say that perhaps the root and soil of the oregano were just too large for the hole (in which case I just didn't think things through when purchasing the plants for the multi-hole planter) however I found it equally difficult planting even the small low-growing flowers (I don't know what it's name is) with smaller root systems.  With the smaller flowers  I found there was no easy way of holding the flowers in place while mounding dirt in and around the roots inside the planter and so I eventually succumbed to holding the flowers in the planter by their beautiful little petals and stems which made me highly anxious as I did not want to ruin the look of the plant.  There is one positive aspect of planting in the multi-hole planter with pre-grown plants however, when watering you do not face the same difficulty of falling dirt since the planted pre-grown plants have a root system that blocks the hole preventing loose-dirt fall-out.  

The planter is beautiful once done and adds a bit of charm to the garden with the different levels in height, but if this is what you're looking to add to your garden  I suggest planting in individual planters all set on bricks at different levels or perhaps even setting individual planters on your patio steps to create depth and hi-low levels- equally beautiful and much simpler to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment