Planting A Blueberry Bush From Wholefoods


One of my worse faults (and my husband could probably confirm this) is that I can be a bit impulsive, I don't make snap decisions but I don't give it much thought either,  I often just go with how I feel and then think of reasons to justify decisions I have made, of course I could do the same for not opting going a certain way.  My husband on the other hand is very good at taking the time to weighing the good and the bad and then taking the route he thinks best based upon his results.

My impulsive behavior (or perhaps it was my lack of patience) led me to purchase from Wholefoods one day a little blueberry bush.  I can think of numerous reasons why I planted a store-bought blueberry bush while I cannot think of even one reason why I would have rather planted from seed.  

It seemed to me more advantageous to plant a pre-grown baby blueberry bush so that it would stand a chance from slugs and pests.  I don't know for sure how slow or fast blueberry bushes grow but it also seemed the fastest way to grow one (hence my lack of patience).  I also read in a book somewhere that blueberry bushes don't really grow in southern California but more so in northern California where weather is cooler and mistier and usually around plants and trees that give off nitrogen as blueberries are acid-loving plants, because of this I believed it would be difficult for a blueberry bush to survive in my yard- I suppose I thought if it was pre-grown it would have a much better chance of surviving.  Whether any of this reasoning is true I haven't a clue, but I guess we soon shall see.

But even with all the information regarding blueberries not grown in southern California I decided to face the road-blocks (for I do love blueberries!) and decided to give it a try.  You win some, you lose some, right?  So I brought the blueberry bush home with me and planted it right into the ground with a mixture of sandy soil, watered it down and sprinkled a bit of coffee ground around it to keep the slugs away but also because coffee ground (acid) gives off nitrogen (hoping this would make the new blueberry plant feel right at home).


1 comment:

  1. Hi, I stumbled onto your blog because I’m attempting growing blueberry bushes from seeds...how did your Wholefoods bush turn out? Any blueberries yet?

    ReplyDelete