DIY: Cucumber And Bottle Cloche Are Good Friends


I planted two cucumber seeds on both sides of a wooden frame structure in the middle of the yard, the plan was to have the cucumbers climb the wooden beam and up the wooden structure to create height and beautiful green foliage around this otherwise old and rickety frame.  Within 5 days of planting the seeds the little cucumber seedlings with rather cute and rounded seed leaves popped up out of the ground, I immediately took to saving the seedlings from outside forces such as birds and slugs.  I sprinkled coffee ground around the seedlings and put a cover of strawberry baskets I had saved for such an occasion.  The very next day as I walked around the yard inspecting all the vegetables and fruit plants I am endeavoring to grow (something I do daily) I realized that one of the cucumber seedlings was gone, completely gone.  I stared at the ground where the seedling used to be and was confounded, there was no seedling at all, it was as if it had not existed, this was quite odd as usually there is some remanence of the plant left even if it has been attacked, but there was none at all.  I dug with my fingers where the seedling used to be and not even the root was found- very odd.  When I found that the seedling was missing I immediately thought the slugs had gotten to it but I never found slugs to be so thorough before.  Still, I do not know what it was that took that little cucumber seedling.  Naturally I replanted another right away but before doing so took the precaution and made a bottle cloche for the remaining cucumber seedling that had escaped this unfortunate happening.

My worry with the bottle cloche was that it would not allow enough air circulation resulting in some kind of unwanted growth due to moisture buildup, this was not the case however, instead I find that the cucumber seedling loves and thrives in the warmth and moisture the cloche allots it.  While waiting for my replanting seedling to germinate and sprout I took to a watchful eye on the lucky surviving seedling that I had covered with the bottle cloche, indeed the seedling grew larger and healthier looking, the seedling leaves growing rounder and sturdier, and has yet to be eaten by the mysterious thing that ate the first.  So when the replanted seedling finally sprouted four days later I immediately knew what I had to do to keep it protected, healthy and happy.


WHAT I NEEDED:
Scissors
Exacto knife (or any sharp knife to cut through a plastic bottle)
A plastic bottle (without the cap)


WHAT I NEEDED TO DO:
1. Carefully, using the exacto knife and scissors cut the bottle in half (towards the end of the cut the exacto knife was difficult to use to make the final slice and so I used the scissors to make the final cut).


2.  Place the cloche with cut-side down into the ground around the plant with the hole at top for air-circulation.



No comments:

Post a Comment