Mushrooms Growing Around My Potato Plant!


I love mushrooms just as much a the next person hates them, but c'mon!  There's something definitely wrong with this picture.  I woke up and was doing my daily check on all my plants and stopped short when I saw that one of my potato plants was surrounded by mushrooms, quite disgusting really.  Am I watering them too much?  It seems to be the first thing that comes to mind, afterall mushrooms love damp moist places right?


Well I simply couldn't just let the mushrooms sit there crowding around the potato plant now could I? The thought of touching the mushrooms was unbearable and even though what I really wanted to do was walk away and pretend none of this was happening, I kneeled down on my knees like a good little girl and got to it, they were moist,  slimy and really, really gross.  And then when I managed to take off all the mushroom growing around the stem I realized the root was still in the ground (pictured below) so to make matters worse I had to dig the mushroom base out, ugh. 


So I've come to the conclusion that the potato plant can do with less watering and more dry time, slowly the mushrooms seem to be going away, they only pop up every now and again- that has to be a good sign, I just hope the potatoes themselves have not been affected by all this, then again, maybe I should brace myself during harvesting time for mushroom laden potatoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment