Planting Basil Bought From Trader Joe's


In my haste to have basil in my garden (since it takes a really long time to grow and that's not even including set-backs) I bought a basil bush from Trader Joe's and gave it a pot of it's own so that it can 1. feel at home, and 2. grow into the pot (so hopefully it'll get bigger and bushier).

It took a bit of time to wiggle the root and soil out of the plastic container it was sold in but eventually when I did get it loose I was able to stick it into a good sized pot and fill it up with more soil and ended it with a good watering.  I gave the replanted basil bush a spot under the rose bush where the basil could get some spotted shade (apparently they really like that, the basil do tend to sulk in the sun and spotted shade is key).

I have a tendency to be heavy-handed with the watering at times and believe this was the misfortune that befell the basil I was trying to grow a year ago in my apartment.  I must keep it in mind that basil can be quite the sensitive plant about two things: too much water and too much sun.  Like I said above "spotted shade is key", and as for the watering... must remember to water when the basil soil has dried out for a day or so.  Here's to keeping the basil alive!




1 comment:

  1. I bought the same one, but I'm confused about what specific type of basil it is. Is it sweet basil or genovese? It would really help me out if you could let me know.

    ReplyDelete