A Beer Bottle Trap For AA Slugs Don't Work

If you've been reading along with my endeavors to grow an organic vegetable & fruit garden you'll know that I planted bush beans and that along with growing bush beans I've found countless amounts of slugs that was helping themselves to the leaves of my bush bean seedlings.  I tried the bottle trap (laying a bottle down on the ground near the bush bean filled with just a bit of water), the idea is that the slugs which are attracted to moisture will get trapped in the bottle- this didn't work.  Upon finding the bottle trap not very helpful at all I instead sprinkled a little bit of coffee ground around the seedlings which worked like a charm.

Upon reading up on a small section regarding slugs in my book, Grow Great Grub by Gayla Trail, I realized that the bottle trap was actually supposed to be a beer bottle trap, not water but beer.  So then I edited my slug bottle trap by adding a little bit of beer into the bottle instead of water.  Two, three, and four days went by and still no slugs in the bottle.  Apparently the beer bottle trap doesn't work either!  Or maybe the slugs in my garden collectively go to AA, who knows.

While the bottle trap may have been fun to do had it resulted in trapped slugs drowning in a stupor of beer bliss I am not all too disheartened or frustrated for I found that the coffee ground works absolutely great.  I had my worries that too much nitrogen from the coffee ground would affect the bush bean but I've only had to sprinkle one round of coffee ground around the bush bean and no more, more than a week later since my first sprinkle and still no sign of slugs around the bush bean.

Read previous posts on saving the bush bean from slugs: 


No comments:

Post a Comment