A Rickety Lettuce-Bed Cover


As the lettuce in the old sink plant bed grew taller I realized that I needed to find another way to cover them up, at the time I simply had laid an old window screen straight on top of the sink, it worked great for a while but the lettuce was beginning to outgrow it.  One day out in the yard I figured I had enough energy to make a taller frame out of stray pieces of wood laying about the yard, a bird net and the old window screen.  My plan seemed rather simple at the time and consisted of putting four wood stakes into the ground at each outer corner of the sink to serve as the frame, then securing the bird net by stapling it along to the wood and using the old window screen to top it all off< Now that I think about it it seems a pretty ridiculous plan. I hadn't taken into consideration what the soil condition was like around the lettuce bed, it was of course as fate would have it un-stake-able, the dirt there (for I can't even call it soil) is hard as a rock.

My husband had a great plan to build a frame but I, the stubborn mule that I am, fought him on it tooth and nail though I hadn't a clue what to do. And in my effort to be right and thus do it my way I had him instead help me build this rickety frame, (the thing sways- its quite funny actually).  Instead of putting the stakes in the ground we nailed crossbars so that the four legs could stand on their own, it's not very sturdy at all and only seems to have no problem standing upright with the help of the window screen sitting on top of it.  I shake my head in shame when I think about how much easier, nicer-looking and sturdier it could have been had I just listened to my husband in the first place.

So the lesson is, if you have a man or friend about that offers to make a frame for you... just let them do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment